Sunday 15/08/04

Today, I'm going back to Eigg for a daytrip out of Arisaig. To this end, the man of the house will take me there. First though, he'll drop Renata off at Mallaig. She is going to the hotel at Duntulm, Skye, where one of her friends is staying. The Sheerwater departs at 11 a.m., and yes there is still room on board for me. For £15.00, I'll be taken there and back. Arrive at Eigg at midday, on a slightly cramped boat. Lots of folk with kids and dogs. At Eigg, there is a longish walk off the pier, which stretches from An Laimhrig southeast to nearly Lady Runciman's bathing hut. The cafeteria is open, but the rest of the centre is closed, it being Sunday. I hobble across to Kildonan, where only Greg and Amy are about. Greg tells me all about his trip to the States, and the fact that his parents are away to Edinburgh. I ask him to pass on my regards and disappear up the road to Cuagach. Maggie Fyffe's home is empty of people, so she is away as well. By this time, I have to start planning my return to the pier, as the Sheerwater is leaving at 4.30. So, I go on my merry way south again, and duly arrive on the pier, via the Lodge, in time for the ferry. The return to Arisaig is your usual deviation for whales and the like, which means that the skipper cuts the engine to allow everybody to watch. On arrival at Arisaig, I head off towards my accommodation for the night, this being the fiendishly expensive Cnoc na Faire hotel. This is located some 2 miles outside the village, near the Back of Keppoch. I am put in a room called Eigg, very acceptable. Food is good as well, but as stated before: £98 per person per night is incredibly steep in my book. The mozzies are out, so I stay in.

No comments: