Wednesday 15/09/04

Am due to return to Kirkwall this evening, but still have all day for an extensive walk. Set off at 10 o'clock in a bitingly cold wind, blowing in straight from the Arctic. Walk up the road, parallel to the shore and come out at Newbiggings on the B9068 to Burness. Cross over into a farm access road and traverse a field. The track gets ever more difficult to follow, as it leads through nettles and brambles. Manage to regain the road along the airfield and head west, past the school to the junction with the road to Kettletoft, the location of the old ferry terminal. Turn north for about 150 yards, then head west again alon gthe B9070 past Bea Loch. have a look round the buildings by Waterhall Jetty. Walk back along the road past Ayers Rock at 11.30, and now I unsuccessfully try to make my way back to Westbrough. I'm sure the local cattle appreciated my attentions, but I had to double back to the B9068. Head WSW along the banks of Lamaness Firth, and circle the banks of it through the new houses at Colligarth. A track veers off into some dunes at Colli Ness, which is where I stay for my lunch. This is disturbed at regular intervals by the local cattleherd, which stampedes off when I get fed up with them and shout at the dumb creatures. At 2.30, I head into Lady village and pop into the convenience stores for some bits. I then head further east into a side road that passes through a cluster of houses. Typically disorganised - goats, pigs, cats all over the road. I once more head into the shores of Otterswick for a cuppa, then head back for Ayers Rock. This goes back along the airfield and through a shortcut by the school at Broughtown. Have to wait for a wee while for the minibus to turn up at 4.40. It goes into Kettletoft first, then heads down the island's main road to the ferrypier at Loth. At Warsetter, cows have jumped over the fence into the road. Nice landscape of dunes around here - someone is building a house. Arrive at Loth in good time for the ferry. This leaves at 6.10 pm, taking me back to KW in 2 hours. It's an uneventful journey. On arrival there, dusk is falling. The YH still has a place for me, after I've been and done my shopping at Safeways.

No comments: