Sunday 12/09/04

The weather is absolutely foul this morning, pouring rain and a full gale. A fishing vessel is nonetheless out in the NR firth, between this island and Sanday to the south. As the day wears on, the weather relents somewhat. The wind drops to force 6, and the sun puts in an appearance every now and again. I venture out alone just before midday, and head north along the island's west coast. After just over an hour, I reach the northwestern cape at Tor Ness, and veer east. The wind is now in my back. Have some very awkward clambering to do outside Westness House, and things don't get any easier around Garso. I resume the main road at Garso and head back to NRBO, where I rejoin my partner. She's been having lunch in the restaurant. I've gotto have something as well. Later that day, have a look down at the pier, where we were supposed to have landed on Friday. It's got a very nice beach behind it, South Bay. Forgot to mention the standing stone and the loch at Gretchen to the north of the Observatory. Watch a movie with the family who run the centre, and have a beer. Start preparations for departure tomorrow. This hostel is actually quite nice, well kitted out and fairly modern for its size.

No comments: