Friday 19/11/04

Friday dawned with a coating of snow over the area. The hills were white, and it was very cold indeed - around freezing. Frequent snow showers swept South Lochs before 10 o'clock, and the wind made it even colder. People taking their kids to the playgroup next door were bent against the wind in one of those squalls. At 10 am, I decided that sitting inside never did anyone any good, so ventured out. The last shower had disappeared to the south, and it all looked quite attractive. I set off along the road in a westerly direction. About 1 mile further on, I located the Abhainn Ealaidh coming down from the hills. Having negotiated a gate, I found myself walking in the snow. It obscured some of the tell-tale features on the ground, such as vegetation, which I use to determine whether it is safe to walk there. But the frost had frozen up some of the bogs and watercourses, so it was not too difficult after a while. Headed up the glen as far as Loch Ealaidh, which I skirted on its eastern shore. It was nice and sunny at this point, with the thermometer going up to 5C. Had to do something tricky with a fence, but fortunately there was a gate overhanging the water. Continued south along the loch shore below two hills, then up another glen to a longer loch. Hugging the contours, i.e. staying at the same height, I went on. It was only about 2C, and had already had one snow shower coming through. But by the time I reached the southern extremity of that lake, at 11.30, it had brightened up. Climbed over a fence, but found I should have stayed on the original (western) side. Finally reached Gleann Ouird, which is traversed by a small river only 7 ft wide. Walked right along this all the way to the large loch at the end, frantically scanning for a point to jump it. Oh, there was a footbridge near the loch, as it turned out. Five deer crossed my path, easily jumping the fences. Sat down at 1pm for lunch, but sitting down straight on the snow gives one a very cold behind. Not long after that, I reached the Eishken Road, which I'd have to follow for some 5 miles up to Balallan. Had a distant hope of catching the 2.50 bus to Kershader. The weather deteriorated again after reaching the end of Loch Seaforth. This is actually connected to the sea, but reaches inland for 22 tortuous miles. The road continued to climb, passing the grand total of 3 houses. About a mile before the junction with the A859, I decided I had time for one final shortcut at 2.40. I went east-northeast across the moors, past a hill and past the northern extremity of a lochan. There was a dodgy piece of fencing here, but I could actually creep through a hole in it. Reached the main road at 4pm, and after a break set off for the final 4 miles to Kershader. Fortunately, someone kindly pulled up to offer me a lift, which I gratefully accepted. Chatted to the lady driver for the duration of the journey, amongst other things about the proposed windturbines. These 140m high monstrosities have sails with a diameter of 100m, would you believe. About 400 of them are proposed, spread over the areas of Pairc, Eishken and Barvas Moor. Thinly populated, but 88% of people are against them going up.

No comments: